miércoles, 14 de octubre de 2009

Election day

I'm not registered to vote. At first, when I was 18 years old, it was a decission made on the grounds of teenage disconformity with politics in general. Now that I'm older it has more to do with the fact that I don't trust in political campaign. I know that campaigns must have a certain lenguage in order to convince people so they are full with promises and cliche phrases. But that's exactly the reason why politicians discourse doesn't convince me at all. Regardless, I was supposed to register this year to vote in the upcoming election, but in the end, lack of motivation and long long lines of people waiting to do the process end up with me still not registered.

I don't think a politician should have any particular qualities. I mean, in the end, people it's not voting over their qualities as they vote for the party they belong to or according to how they were able to place the candidate as a realiable one.

Personally, I think elections and campaigns are more about propaganda and media workout than about proposals and ideas. Considering that, it's pretty difficult for me imagine as a politician. Although I did run for elections inside University and actually won it. I suppose as soon as I abandon my, still "idealistic" ideas, there's a chance that in the future I get involved in some minor party, in which I could have the possibility to influence politic line and strategy.

1 comentario:

Valentina dijo...

Hey!
I think I share a lot of your opinions about politicians, and politic in general. People in Chile vote for faces and don't even read the candidate's programs. Campaings actually tend to do this in order to assure votes for their designated candidates, and I think that parties are not thinking of people's wellness everytime they make a decision.
Anyway, we must keep in mind that we want a good goverment for our descendants, and that we must make the right decisions now.
Cheers.